[gpfsug-discuss] AFM Prefetch Missing Files

Peter Childs p.childs at qmul.ac.uk
Tue May 16 10:40:09 BST 2017

I know it was said at the User group meeting last week that older
versions of afm prefetch miss empty files and that this is now fixed in
4.2.2.3.

We are in the middle of trying to migrate our files to a new filesystem,
and since that was said I'm double checking for any mistakes etc.

Anyway it looks like AFM prefetch also misses symlinks pointing to files
that that don't exist. ie "dangling symlinks" or ones that point to
files that either have not been created yet or have subsequently been
deleted. or when files have been decompressed and a symlink extracted
that points somewhere that is never going to exist.

I'm still checking this, and as yet it does not look like its a data
loss issue, but it could still cause things to not quiet work once the
file migration is complete.

Does anyone else know of any other types of files that might be missed
and I need to be aware of?

We are using 4.2.1-3 and prefetch was done using "mmafmctl prefetch"
using a gpfs policy to collect the list, we are using GPFS Multi-cluster
to connect the two filesystems not NFS....

Thanks in advanced

Peter Childs