[gpfsug-discuss] CES and Directory list populating very slowly

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Tue May 9 19:58:22 BST 2017

If you haven't already, measure the time directly on the CES node command
line skipping Windows and Samba overheads:

time ls -l /path

or

time ls -lR /path

Depending which you're interested in.

From:   "Sven Oehme" <oehmes at us.ibm.com>
To:     gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Date:   05/09/2017 01:01 PM
Subject:        Re: [gpfsug-discuss] CES and Directory list populating
very slowly
Sent by:        gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org

ESS nodes have cache, but what matters most for this type of workloads is
to have a very large metadata cache, this resides on the CES node for
SMB/NFS workloads. so if you know that your client will use this 300k
directory a lot you want to have a very large maxfilestocache setting on
this nodes. alternative solution is to install a LROC device and configure
a larger statcache, this helps especially if you have multiple larger
directories and want to cache as many as possible from all of them.
make sure you have enough tokenmanager and memory on them if you have
multiple CES nodes and they all will have high settings.

sven

Sven Oehme
Scalable Storage Research
email: oehmes at us.ibm.com
Phone: +1 (408) 824-8904
IBM Almaden Research Lab

Mark Bush ---05/09/2017 05:25:39 PM---I have a customer who is struggling
(they already have a PMR open and it’s being actively worked on