[gpfsug-discuss] bizarre performance behavior

Kenneth Waegeman kenneth.waegeman at ugent.be
Thu May 4 14:22:25 BST 2017

Hi,

We found out using ib_read_bw and ib_write_bw that there were some links
between server and clients degraded, having a bandwith of 350MB/s

strangely, nsdperf did not report the same. It reported 12GB/s write and
9GB/s read, which was much more then we actually could achieve.

So the problem was some bad ib routing. We changed some ib links, and
then we got also 12GB/s read with nsdperf.

On our clients we then are able to achieve the 7,2GB/s in total we also
saw using the nsd servers!

Many thanks for the help !!

We are now running some tests with different blocksizes and parameters,
because our backend storage is able to do more than the 7.2GB/s we get
with GPFS (more like 14GB/s in total). I guess prefetchthreads and
nsdworkerthreads are the ones to look at?

Cheers!

Kenneth