[gpfsug-discuss] -Y option for many commands, precious few officially!

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 28 17:14:18 BST 2017

Just looking/scanning the latest (4.2.2) Spectrum Scale Command (and
Programming) Reference I only found a few commands that officially are
documented as supporting a -Y option:  mmnfs, mmsmb, mmuserauth.

But as many of you have discovered, -Y is accepted and yields
"interesting" output for many of the mmXXXX commands.
Moreover the output *seems to* have easily discernible patterns that can
be parsed by simple programs.

I believe there is no guarantee that the exact command output formats will
not change from release to release, so, as a practical matter, if you're
going to parse command output, you're probably better off parsing the -Y
output, even if that is not officially supported.