[gpfsug-discuss] default inode size

Lukas Hejtmanek xhejtman at ics.muni.cz
Wed Mar 15 13:26:09 GMT 2017

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 01:12:44PM +0000, GORECKI, DIETER wrote:
> One other thing to consider is the storage of data inside the inode itself for very small files. GPFS has the ability to use the remaining [kilo]bytes of the inode to store the data of the file whenever the file is small enough to fit in.
>
> Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but with 4k inodes, you can store up to (4096-128 header) 3968 bytes of data. (without ILM)
>
> So regarding the size of the files you intend to store into your filesystem, it might be very interesting to take advantage of the performance of your SSD's to store small files.

I agree it would, however, I have 30 % free capacity on SSDs only right now (with
some snapshots and ~70M files). So I'm afraid I have to either change the
rotational disks to hold metadata as well or do not create more
files/snapshots or decrease the inode size. I cannot add more SSDs as I do not
have free disk slots in HW.

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek