[gpfsug-discuss] express edition vs standard edition

Felipe Knop knop at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 27 22:54:35 BST 2017

Stuart,

I believe you will need to install the gpfs.ext RPMs , otherwise the
daemons and commands will think only the Express edition is installed.

  Felipe

----
Felipe Knop                                     knop at us.ibm.com
GPFS Development and Security
IBM Systems
IBM Building 008
2455 South Rd, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
(845) 433-9314  T/L 293-9314

From:   Stuart Barkley <stuartb at 4gh.net>
To:     gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org
Date:   06/27/2017 05:35 PM
Subject:        [gpfsug-discuss] express edition vs standard edition
Sent by:        gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org

Does anyone know what controls whether GPFS (4.1.1) thinks it is
Express Edition versus Standard Edition?

While rebuilding an old cluster from scratch we are getting the
message:

    mmcrfs: Storage pools are not available in the GPFS Express Edition.

The Problem Determination Guide says to "Install the GPFS Standard
Edition on all nodes in the cluster" which we think we have done.  The
cluster is just 3 servers and no clients at this point.

We have verified that our purchased license is for Standard Version,
but have not been able to figure out what controls the GPFS view of
this.  mmlslicense tells us that we have Express Edition installed.
mmchlicense sets server vs client license information, but does not
seem to be able to control the edition.

Our normal install process is to install gpfs.base-4.1.1-0.x86_64.rpm
first and then install gpfs.base-4.1.1-15.x86_64.update.rpm followed
by the other needed 4.1.1-15 rpms.

I thought maybe we had the wrong gpfs.base and we have re-downloaded
Standard Edition RPM files from IBM in case we had the wrong version.
However, reinstalling and recreating the cluster does not seem to have
addressed this issue.

We must be doing something stupid during our install, but I'm pretty
sure we used only Standard Edition rpms for our latest attempt.

Thanks,
Stuart Barkley
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never
lost!