[gpfsug-discuss] 4.2.3.x and sub-block size

Kumaran Rajaram kums at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 14 18:15:27 BST 2017

Hi,

>>Back at SC16 I was told that GPFS 4.2.3.x would remove the “a sub-block
is 1/32nd of the block size” restriction.  However, I have installed GPFS
4.2.3.1 on my test cluster and in the man page for mmcrfs I still see:
>>So has the restriction been removed?  If not, is there an update on
which version of GPFS will remove it?  If so, can the documentation be
updated to reflect the change and how to take advantage of it?  Thanks…

Based on the current plan, this “a sub-block is 1/32nd of the block size”
restriction will be removed in the upcoming GPFS version 4.2.4 (Please
NOTE: Support for >32 subblocks per block may subject to be delayed based
on internal qualification/validation efforts).

Regards,
-Kums

Back at SC16 I was told that GPFS 4.2.3.x would remove the “a sub-block is
1/32nd of the block size” restriction.  However, I have installed GPFS
4.2.3.1 on my test cluster and in the man page for mmcrfs I still see:

2. The GPFS block size determines:

   *  The minimum disk space allocation unit. The minimum amount
      of space that file data can occupy is a sub‐block. A
      sub‐block is 1/32 of the block size.

So has the restriction been removed?  If not, is there an update on which
version of GPFS will remove it?  If so, can the documentation be updated
to reflect the change and how to take advantage of it?  Thanks…

Kevin

?
Kevin Buterbaugh - Senior System Administrator
Vanderbilt University - Advanced Computing Center for Research and
Education
Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu - (615)875-9633