[gpfsug-discuss] export nfs share on gpfs with no authentication

Ilan Schwarts ilan84 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 05:52:11 BST 2017

Hi,

While trying to add the userdefined auth, I receive error that SMB
service not enabled.
I am currently working on a spectrum scale cluster, and i dont have
the SMB package, I am waiting for it.. is there a way to export NFSv3
using the spectrum scale tools without SMB package ?
[root at LH20-GPFS1 ~]# mmuserauth service create --type userdefined
: SMB service not enabled. Enable SMB service first.
mmcesuserauthcrservice: Command failed. Examine previous error
messages to determine cause.

I exported the NFS via /etc/exports and than ./exportfs -a .. It works
fine, I was able to mount the gpfs export from another machine.. this
was my work-around since the spectrum scale tools failed to export
NFSv3

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:35 PM,  <valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:36:41 +0300, Ilan Schwarts said:
>> Hi,
>> I have gpfs with 2 Nodes (redhat).
>> I am trying to create NFS share - So I would be able to mount and
>> access it from another linux machine.
>
>> While trying to create NFS (I execute the following):
>> [root at LH20-GPFS1 ~]# mmnfs export add /fs_gpfs01 -c "*
>> Access_Type=RW,Protocols=3:4,Squash=no_root_squash)"
>
> You can get away with little to no authentication for NFSv3, but
> not for NFSv4.  Try with Protocols=3 only and
>
> mmuserauth service create --type userdefined
>
> that should get you Unix-y NFSv3 UID/GID support and "trust what the NFS
> client tells you".  This of course only works sanely if each NFS export is
> only to a set of machines in the same administrative domain that manages their
> UID/GIDs.  Exporting to two sets of machines that don't coordinate their
> UID/GID space is, of course, where hilarity and hijinks ensue....

-
Ilan Schwarts