[gpfsug-discuss] Requirement to keep gpfs.smb the same on all nodes

Sobey, Richard A r.sobey at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jul 4 11:54:52 BST 2017

Hi all,

For how long has this requirement been in force, and why?

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/STXKQY_4.2.3/com.ibm.spectrum.scale.v4r23.doc/bl1ins_updatingsmb.htm

All protocol nodes running the SMB service must have the same version of gpfs.smb installed at any time. This requires a brief outage of the SMB service to upgrade gpfs.smb to the newer version across all protocol nodes. The procedure outlined here is intended to reduce the outage to a minimum.

Previously I've upgraded nodes one at a time over the course of a few days.

Is the impact just that we won't be supported, or will a hole open up beneath my feet and swallow me whole?

I really don't fancy the headache of getting approvals to get an outage of even 5 minutes at 6am....

Cheers
Richard