[gpfsug-discuss] Manager nodes

Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Tue Jan 24 10:00:42 GMT 2017

We are looking at moving manager processes off our NSD nodes and on to
dedicated quorum/manager nodes.

Are there some broad recommended hardware specs for the function of these
nodes.

I assume they benefit from having high memory (for some value of high,
probably a function of number of clients, files, expected open files?, and
probably completely incalculable, so some empirical evidence may be useful
here?) (I'm going to ignore the docs that say you should have twice as
much swap as RAM!)

What about cores, do they benefit from high core counts or high clock
rates? For example would I benefit more form a high core count, low clock
speed, or going for higher clock speeds and reducing core count? Or is
memory bandwidth more important for manager nodes?

Connectivity, does token management run over IB or only over
Ethernet/admin network? I.e. Should I bother adding IB cards, or just have
fast Ethernet on them (my clients/NSDs all have IB).

I'm looking for some hints on what I would most benefit in investing in vs
keeping to budget.

Thanks

Simon