[gpfsug-discuss] forcibly panic stripegroup everywhere?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jan 23 01:23:34 GMT 2017

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 20:10:14 -0500, Aaron Knister said:
> This is going to sound like a ridiculous request, but, is there a way to
> cause a filesystem to panic everywhere in one "swell foop"?
(...)
> I can seem to do it on a per-node basis with "mmfsadm test panic <fs>
> <error code>" but if I do that over all 1k nodes in my test cluster at
> once it results in about 45 minutes of almost total deadlock while each
> panic is processed by the fs manager.

Sounds like you've already found the upper bound for panicking all at once. :)

What exactly are you trying to do here?  Force-dismount all over the cluster
due to some urgent external condition (UPS fail, whatever)? And how much do
you care about file system metadata consistency and/or pending data writes?

(Be prepared to Think Outside The Box - the *fastest* way may be to use
a controllable power strip in the rack and cut power to your fiber channel
switches, isolating the storage *real* fast....)