[gpfsug-discuss] mmrepquota and group names in GPFS 4.2.2.x

Buterbaugh, Kevin L Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Jan 19 16:25:20 GMT 2017

Hi Olaf,

We will continue upgrading clients in a rolling fashion, but with ~700 of them, it’ll be a few weeks.  And to me that’s good … I don’t consider figuring out why this is happening a waste of time and therefore having systems on both versions is a good thing.

While I would prefer not to paste actual group names and GIDs into this public forum, I can assure you that on every 4.2.1.1 system that I have tried this on:

1.  mmrepquota reports mostly GIDs, only a few group names
2.  /etc/nsswitch.conf says to look at files first
3.  the GID is in /etc/group
4.  length of group name doesn’t matter

I have a support contract with IBM, so I can open a PMR if necessary.  I just thought someone on the list might have an idea as to what is happening or be able to point out the obvious explanation that I’m missing.  ;-)

Thanks…

Kevin