[gpfsug-discuss] Policy rule to list files based on access time

Sobey, Richard A r.sobey at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Dec 1 16:57:46 GMT 2017

Hi all,

I'm getting some strange results using a policy to list all the files (well, I'm only interested in the total size that GPFS chooses) that have not been accessed for more than 1/2/3 etc years.

The policy rule I'm using is:

RULE 'list_old' LIST 'atime_gt_730'
WHERE DAYS(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) -DAYS(ACCESS_TIME) > 730

..for anything over 2 years. My filesystem is 3.5 years old and we first started migrating to it about three years ago, yet although GPFS is choosing ~400000 files that match, the total size is just north of 11000KB:

[I] Summary of Rule Applicability and File Choices:
Rule#      Hit_Cnt          KB_Hit          Chosen       KB_Chosen          KB_Ill     Rule
     0       453765           11776          453765           11776               0     RULE 'list_old' LIST 'atime_gt_730' WHERE(.)

I'm having a hard time believing half a million files total 11MB especially given the very random spread of usage the system sees.

The mmapplypolicy command I'm running is:

/usr/lpp/mmfs/bin/mmapplypolicy /gpfs/path -f /gpfs/policies/ -I defer --scope filesystem -P ./list_old_allfs.txt

The directory 'path' above is the root of the main CES share which encompasses all my filesets.

This is my first real foray into using the policy engine so I might be doing something silly, or misinterpreting the results, or there is simply a far easier way to achieve my goal.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Richard