[gpfsug-discuss] 'ltfsee info tapes' - Unusable tapes...

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Aug 7 21:27:03 BST 2017

The LTFSEE docs say:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/ST9MBR_1.2.3/ltfs_ee_ltfsee_info_tapes.html

"Unusable	The Unusable status indicates that the tape can't be used.
To change the status, remove the tape from the pool by using the ltfsee pool
remove command with the -r option. Then, add the tape back into the pool by
using the ltfsee pool add command."

Do they really mean that?  What happens to data that was on the tape?
Does the 'pool add' command re-import LTFS's knowledge of what files
were on that tape?  It's one thing to remove/add tapes with no files on
them - but I'm leery of doing it for tapes that contain migrated data, given
a lack of clear statement that file index recovery is done at 'pool add' time.

(We had a tape get stuck in a drive, and LTFS/EE tried to use the drive,
wasn't able to load the tape because the drive was occupied, marked the
tape as Unusable. Lather rinse repeat until there's no usable tapes left
in the pool... but that's a different issue...)