[gpfsug-discuss] Systemd will not allow the mount of a filesystem

John Hearns john.hearns at asml.com
Wed Aug 2 10:49:36 BST 2017

I am setting up a filesystem for some tests, so this is not mission critical. This is on an OS with systemd
When I create a new filesystem, named gpfstest, then mmmount it the filesystem is logged as being mounted then immediately dismounted.
Having fought with this for several hours I now find this in the system messages file:

Aug  2 10:36:56 tosmn001 systemd: Unit hpc-gpfstest.mount is bound to inactive unit dev-gpfstest.device. Stopping, too.

I stopped then started gpfs. I have run a systemctl daemon-reload
I created a new filesystem, using the same physical disk, with a new filesystem name, testtest,  and a new mountpoint.

Aug  2 11:03:50 tosmn001 systemd: Unit hpc-testtest.mount is bound to inactive unit dev-testtest.device. Stopping, too.

GPFS itself logs:
Wed Aug  2 11:03:50.824 2017: [I] Command: successful mount testtest
Wed Aug  2 11:03:50.837 2017: [I] Command: unmount testtest
Wed Aug  2 11:03:51.192 2017: [I] Command: successful unmount testtest

If anyone else has seen this behavior please let me know. I found this issue https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/1741
However the only suggested fix is a system daemon-reload, and if this doesn't work ???

Also if this is a stupid mistake on my part, I pro-actively hang my head in shame.

-- The information contained in this communication and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged, and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. Unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of this communication or the attachment thereto (if any), the information is provided on an AS-IS basis without any express or implied warranties or liabilities. To the extent you are relying on this information, you are doing so at your own risk. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. Neither the sender nor the company/group of companies he or she represents shall be liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication, or for any delay in its receipt.