[gpfsug-discuss] Quota and hardlimit enforcement

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue Aug 1 09:50:05 BST 2017

On Mon, 2017-07-31 at 20:11 +0000, Buterbaugh, Kevin L wrote:
> Jaime,
>

> That’s heavily workload dependent.  We run a traditional HPC cluster
> and have a 7 day grace on home and 14 days on scratch.  By setting the
> soft and hard limits appropriately we’ve slammed the door on many a
> runaway user / group / fileset.  YMMV…

I would concur that it is heavily workload dependant. I have never had a
problem with a 7 day period.

Besides which if they can significantly blow through the hard limit due
to heavy writing and the "in doubt" value then it matters not one jot
that grace is 7 days or two hours.

My preference however is to set the grace period to as long as possible
(which from memory is about 10 years on GPFS) then set the soft at 90%
of the hard and use over quota callbacks to signal that there is a
problem.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.