[gpfsug-discuss] Used virtualization technologies for GPFS/Spectrum Scale

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Mon Apr 24 14:04:26 BST 2017

On Mon, 2017-04-24 at 14:21 +0200, service at metamodul.com wrote:
> Hi Jonathan
> todays hardware is so powerful that imho it might make sense to split
> a CEC into more "piece". For example the IBM S822L has up to 2x12
> cores, 9 PCI3 slots ( 4×16 lans & 5×8 lan ).
> I think that such a server is a little bit to big  just to be a single
> NSD server.

So don't buy it for an NSD server then :-)

> Note that i use for each GPFS service a dedicated node.
> So if i would go for 4 NSD server, 6 protocol nodes and 2 tsm backup
> nodes and at least 3 test server a total of 11 server is needed.
> Inhm 4xS822L could handle this and a little bit more quite well.

I think you are missing the point somewhat. Well by several country
miles and quite possibly an ocean or two to be honest.

Spectrum scale is supposed to be a "scale out" solution. More storage
required add more arrays. More bandwidth add more servers etc.

If you are just going to scale it all up on a *single* server then you
might as well forget GPFS and do an old school standard scale up
solution.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.