[gpfsug-discuss] Policy scan against billion files for ILM/HSM

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 12 23:43:20 BST 2017

>>>Here is the command I use to apply a policy:

 mmapplypolicy gsfs0 -P policy.txt -N
 scg-gs0,scg-gs1,scg-gs2,scg-gs3,scg-gs4,scg-gs5,scg-gs6,scg-gs7 -g
 /srv/gsfs0/admin_stuff/ -I test -B 500 -A 61 -a 4

 That takes approximately 10 minutes to do the whole scan.  The "-B 500
 -A 61 -a 4" numbers we determined just by trying different values with
 the same policy file and seeing the resulting scan duration.
<<<

That's pretty good.  BUT, FYI, the -A number-of-buckets parameter should
be scaled with the total number of files you expect to find in the
argument filesystem or directory.

If you don't set it the command will default to number-of-inodes-allocated
/ million, but capped at a minimum of 7 and a maximum of 4096.