[gpfsug-discuss] AFM gateways

Venkateswara R Puvvada vpuvvada at in.ibm.com
Wed Apr 12 10:53:25 BST 2017

Gateway node requires server license.

~Venkat (vpuvvada at in.ibm.com)

From:   Matt Weil <mweil at wustl.edu>
To:     <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Date:   04/11/2017 01:46 AM
Subject:        Re: [gpfsug-discuss] AFM gateways
Sent by:        gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org

Thanks for the answers..  For fail over I believe we will want to keep it
separate then.   Next question. Is it licensed as a client or a server?

On 4/10/17 6:20 AM, McLaughlin, Sandra M wrote:
Hi,

I agree with Venkat.

I did exactly what you said below, enabled my NSD servers as gateways to
get additional throughput (with both native gpfs protocol and NFS
protocol), which worked well; we definitely got the increased traffic.
However, I wouldn’t do it again through choice. As Venkat says, if there
is a problem with the remote cluster, that can affect any of the gateway
nodes (if using gpfs protocol), but also, we had a problem with one of the
gateway nodes, where it kept crashing (which is now resolved) and then all
filesets for which that node was the gateway had to failover to other
gateway servers and this really messes everything up while the failover is
taking place. I am also, stupidly, serving NFS and samba from the NSD
servers (via ctdb) which I also, would not do again !

It would be nice if there was a way to specify which gateway server is the
primary gateway for a specific fileset.

Regards, Sandra