[gpfsug-discuss] Spectrum Scale Encryption

Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Thu Apr 6 16:11:38 BST 2017

Hi Ed,

Thanks.

We already have several SKLM servers (tape backups).

For me, we plan to encrypt specific parts of the FS (probably by
file-set), so as long as all that is needed is an empty RKM.conf file,
sounds like it will work. I suppose I could have an MEK that is granted to
all clients, but then never actually use it for encryption if RKM.conf
needs at least one key (hack hack hack).

(We are at 4.2.2-2 (mostly) or higher (a few nodes)).

I *thought* the FEK was wrapped in the metadata with the MEK (possibly
multiple times with different MEKs), so what the docs say about operation
continuing with no SKLM server sounds sensible, but of course that might
not be what actually happens I guess...

Simon

On 06/04/2017, 15:54, "gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org on behalf
of Wahl, Edward" <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org on behalf of