[gpfsug-discuss] Proposal for dynamic heat assisted file tiering

Andreas Landhäußer alandhae at gmx.de
Wed Sep 28 10:13:55 BST 2016

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016, Eric Horst <erich at uw.edu> wrote:

Thanks Eric for the hint,

shouldn't we as the users define a requirement for such a dynamic heat
assisted file tiering option (DHAFTO).

Keeping track which files have increased heat and triggering a transparent
move to a faster tier.

Since I haven't tested it on a GPFS FS, I would like to know about the
performance penalties being observed, when frequently running the
policies, just a rough estimate.

Of course its depending on the speed of the Metadata disks (yes, we use
different devices for Metadata) we are also running GPFS on various GSS
Systems.

IBM might also want bundling this option together with GSS/ESS hardware
for better performance.

Just my 2¢

Andreas

--
Andreas Landhäußer				+49 151 12133027 (mobile)
alandhae at gmx.de