[gpfsug-discuss] File_heat for GPFS File Systems

Alex Chekholko chekh at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 27 19:51:50 BST 2016

On 09/27/2016 11:04 AM, Andreas Landhäußer wrote:
> if a file gets hot again, there is no rule for putting the file back
> into a faster storage device?

The file will get moved when you run the policy again.  You can run the
policy as often as you like.

There is also a way to use a GPFS hook to trigger policy run.  Check
'mmaddcallback'

But I think you have to be careful and think through the complexity.
e.g. load spikes and pool fills up and your callback kicks in and starts
a migration which increases the I/O load further, etc...

Regards,
Alex Chekholko chekh at stanford.edu