[gpfsug-discuss] EDR and omnipath

Aaron Knister aaron.s.knister at nasa.gov
Mon Sep 19 22:03:51 BST 2016

Here's where I read about the inter-operability of the two:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/omni-path-storage-white-paper.pdf

This is what Intel says:

> In a multi-homed file system server, or in a Lustre Networking (LNet) or IP router, a single OpenFabrics Al- liance (OFA) software environment supporting both an Intel OPA HFI and a Mellanox* InfiniBand HCA is required. The OFA software stack is architected to support multiple tar- geted network types. Currently, the OFA stack simultaneously supports iWARP for Ethernet, RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE), and InfiniBand networks, and the Intel OPA network has been added to that list. As the OS distributions implement their OFA stacks, it will be validated to simultaneously support both Intel OPA Host

> Intel is working closely with the major Linux distributors, including Red Hat* and SUSE*, to ensure that Intel OPA support is integrated into their OFA implementation. Once this is accomplished, then simultaneous Mellanox InfiniBand and Intel OPA support will be present in the standard Linux distributions.

So it seems as though Intel is relying on the OS vendors to bridge the
support gap between them and Mellanox.

-Aaron