[gpfsug-discuss] gpfs snapshots

Jez Tucker jtucker at pixitmedia.com
Tue Sep 13 23:28:22 BST 2016

Hey

   So yes, you're quite right - we have higher order fault tolerant
cluster wide methods of dealing with such requirements already. However,
I still think the end user should be empowered to be able construct such
methods themselves if needs be.

Yes, the comment is merely an aid [but also useful as a generic comment
field] and as such could be utilised to encode basic metadata into the
comment field.

I'll log an RFE and see where we go from here.

Cheers

Jez

On 13/09/16 21:51, Yuri L Volobuev wrote:

> [...]
> fault-tolerant cluster-aware scheduling framework is GPFS itself, as
> the most complex pieces are already there. We have some plans for work
> along those lines, but if you want to reinforce the point with an RFE,
> that would be fine, too.
>
> yuri
>
> Inactive hide details for Jez Tucker ---09/13/2016 02:10:31 AM---Hey
> Yuri, Perhaps an RFE here, but could I suggest there isJez Tucker
> ---09/13/2016 02:10:31 AM---Hey Yuri, Perhaps an RFE here, but could I
> suggest there is much value in
>
> From: Jez Tucker <jtucker at pixitmedia.com>
> To: gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org,
> Date: 09/13/2016 02:10 AM
> Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] gpfs snapshots
> Sent by: gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org

> Hey Yuri,
>
>   Perhaps an RFE here, but could I suggest there is much value in
> adding a -c <comment> option to mmcrsnapshot?
>
> Use cases:
>
> mmcrsnapshot myfsname @GMT-2016.09.13-10.00.00 -j myfilesetname -c
> "Before phase 2"
>
> and
>
> mmcrsnapshot myfsname @GMT-2016.09.13-10.00.00 -j myfilesetname -c
> "expire:GMT-2017.04.21-16.00.00"
>
> Ideally also: mmcrsnapshot fs1
> fset1:snapA:expirestr,fset2:snapB:expirestr,fset3:snapC:expirestr
>
> Then it's easy to iterate over snapshots and subsequently
> mmdelsnapshot snaps which are no longer required.
> There are lots of methods to achieve this, but without external
> databases / suchlike, this is rather simple and effective for end users.
>
> Alternatively a second comment like -expire flag as user metadata may
> be preferential.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Jez
>

> On 13/09/16 05:32, _Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu_
> <mailto:Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu>wrote:
>
>         On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 00:30:19 +0200, Lukas Hejtmanek said:
>                 I guess we could reach snapid 100,000.
>
>         It probably stores the snap ID as a 32 or 64 bit int, so 100K
>         is peanuts.
>
>         What you *do* want to do is make the snap *name* meaningful, using
>         a timestamp or something to keep your sanity.
>
>         mmcrsnapshot fs923 `date +%y%m%d-%H%M`   or similar.
>

> --
> Jez Tucker
> Head of Research & Product Development
> Pixit Media_
> __www.pixitmedia.com_ <http://www.pixitmedia.com/>
>

> This email is confidential in that it is intended for the exclusive
> attention of the addressee(s) indicated. If you are not the intended
> recipient, this email should not be read or disclosed to any other
> person. Please notify the sender immediately and delete this email
> from your computer system. Any opinions expressed are not necessarily
> those of the company from which this email was sent and, whilst to the
> best of our knowledge no viruses or defects exist, no responsibility
> can be accepted for any loss or damage arising from its receipt or

Mobile: +44 (0) 776 419 3820