[gpfsug-discuss] Migration to separate metadata and data disks

Aaron Knister aaron.s.knister at nasa.gov
Thu Sep 1 14:39:17 BST 2016

By the way, I suspect the no space on device errors are because GPFS
believes for some reason that it is unable to maintain the metadata
replication factor of 2 that's likely set on all previously created inodes.

On 9/1/16 9:36 AM, Aaron Knister wrote:
> I must admit, I'm curious as to the reason you're dropping the
> replication factor from 2 down to 1. There are some serious advantages
> we've seen to having multiple metadata replicas, as far as error
> recovery is concerned.
>
> Could you paste an output of mmlsdisk for the filesystem?
>
> -Aaron
>
> On 9/1/16 9:30 AM, Miroslav Bauer wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a GPFS 3.5 filesystem (fs1) and I'm trying to migrate the
>> filesystem metadata from state:
>> -m = 2 (default metadata replicas)
>> - SATA disks (dataAndMetadata, failGroup=1)
>> - SSDs (metadataOnly, failGroup=3)
>> to the desired state:
>> -m = 1
>> - SATA disks (dataOnly, failGroup=1)
>> - SSDs (metadataOnly, failGroup=3)
>>
>> I have done the following steps in the following order:
>> 1) change SATA disks to dataOnly (stanza file modifies the 'usage'
>> attribute only):
>> # mmchdisk fs1 change -F dataOnly_disks.stanza
>> Attention: Disk parameters were changed.
>>   Use the mmrestripefs command with the -r option to relocate data and
>> metadata.
>> Verifying file system configuration information ...
>> mmchdisk: Propagating the cluster configuration data to all
>>   affected nodes.  This is an asynchronous process.
>>
>> 2) change default metadata replicas number 2->1
>> # mmchfs fs1 -m 1
>>
>> 3) run mmrestripefs as suggested by output of 1)
>> # mmrestripefs fs1 -r
>> Scanning file system metadata, phase 1 ...
>> Error processing inodes.
>> No space left on device
>> mmrestripefs: Command failed.  Examine previous error messages to
>> determine cause.
>>
>> It is, however, still possible to create new files on the filesystem.
>> When I return one of the SATA disks as a dataAndMetadata disk, the
>> mmrestripefs
>> command stops complaining about No space left on device. Both df and mmdf
>> say that there is enough space both for data (SATA) and metadata (SSDs).
>> Does anyone have an idea why is it complaining?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Miroslav Bauer

Aaron Knister
NASA Center for Climate Simulation (Code 606.2)
Goddard Space Flight Center
(301) 286-2776