[gpfsug-discuss] Migration to separate metadata and data disks

Miroslav Bauer bauer at cesnet.cz
Thu Sep 1 14:30:23 BST 2016

Hello,

I have a GPFS 3.5 filesystem (fs1) and I'm trying to migrate the
filesystem metadata from state:
-m = 2 (default metadata replicas)
- SATA disks (dataAndMetadata, failGroup=1)
- SSDs (metadataOnly, failGroup=3)
to the desired state:
-m = 1
- SATA disks (dataOnly, failGroup=1)
- SSDs (metadataOnly, failGroup=3)

I have done the following steps in the following order:
1) change SATA disks to dataOnly (stanza file modifies the 'usage'
attribute only):
# mmchdisk fs1 change -F dataOnly_disks.stanza
Attention: Disk parameters were changed.
   Use the mmrestripefs command with the -r option to relocate data and
metadata.
Verifying file system configuration information ...
mmchdisk: Propagating the cluster configuration data to all
   affected nodes.  This is an asynchronous process.

2) change default metadata replicas number 2->1
# mmchfs fs1 -m 1

3) run mmrestripefs as suggested by output of 1)
# mmrestripefs fs1 -r
Scanning file system metadata, phase 1 ...
Error processing inodes.
No space left on device
mmrestripefs: Command failed.  Examine previous error messages to
determine cause.

It is, however, still possible to create new files on the filesystem.
When I return one of the SATA disks as a dataAndMetadata disk, the
mmrestripefs
command stops complaining about No space left on device. Both df and mmdf
say that there is enough space both for data (SATA) and metadata (SSDs).
Does anyone have an idea why is it complaining?

Thanks,

--
Miroslav Bauer