[gpfsug-discuss] Biggest file that will fit inside an inode?

Yuri L Volobuev volobuev at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 7 17:20:01 BST 2016

Exactly how much data can fit into an inode depends on whether any extended
attributes (EAs) are present, which makes this complicated, as EAs may be
set explicitly by the user or implicitly by the system.  In any inode,
there's a fixed footprint of the inode header, 128 bytes on recent GPFS
streams.  So if there's no possibility to fit more than (inodeSize - 128)
bytes into an inode.  If some EAs are present, this becomes more
complicated.  GPFS can store EAs either in the inode, or in a special "EA
overflow block".  Certain EAs used by GPFS internally (for encryption, AFM,
DMAPI, clones) must reside in the inode, due to the need to have those set
at certain junctures when it's tricky to accommodate EA overflow allocation
with proper atomicity guarantees.  Other subsystems, e.g. SELinux, may
implicitly use EAs as well.  So a given inode may have less space for data
than described above.  This is another big part of the reason why 4K is the
current default inode size.  And of course this is not an external spec set
in stone, but rather the way the current implementation works.  A future
version of GPFS may have a bigger inode header, for example.  So it would
be imprudent to bank on file/directory data fitting into an inode with a
great deal of precision.  A better way to view this is as a kind of a
performance optimization.

DMAPI won't "punch out" data that resides in inode.  Such a file has zero
blocks allocated, so there's nothing for an HSM app to migrate.  TCT can
copy in-inode data to cloud for co-resident mode.  And yes, TCT doesn't
rely on the same DMAPI API as HSM, per se, but naturally the underlying
code shares some of the infrastructure.

yuri