[gpfsug-discuss] Fileheat reporting

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 4 15:56:46 BST 2016

FILE_HEAT value is a non-negative floating point value.  The value can
grow quite large -- in theory it can grow to the IEEE 64 bit maximum
floating point value and maybe even to "infinity".

Each time a file is read completely from disk it's FILE_HEAT value
increases by 1.  If a fraction, f,  of the file is read then FILE_HEAT +=
f.  (f<=1)
On the other hand, as time passes the FILE_HEAT "decays" at the rate given
by the (mmchconfig) parameters fileHeatPeriodMinutes and
fileHeatLossPercent.

In fact I recently corresponding with a customer (who is no stranger to
this forum and may wish to comment!) who found that a bunch of hot little
script files had accumulated heat values greater than 100,000,000 !  We
were both surprised.   Apparently these files are read and re-read many
times every day by many nodes and so their heat builds up!

So what would you call "Hot", "Warm", "Cold"?  It depends...  To get a
good idea, I suggest that a "survey" of FILE_HEAT values be done by using
an mmapplypolicy command with a rule like.

rule 'y' list 'fhn0' weight(FILE_HEAT)
 SHOW(HEX(XATTR('gpfs.FileHeat')) ||
   ' A=' || varchar(ACCESS_TIME) ||
   ' K=' || varchar(KB_ALLOCATED) ||
   ' H=' || varchar(FILE_HEAT))

 where FILE_HEAT != 0.0

Using `mmapplypolicy FS -P policy-rules-file -I defer -f /tmp/whatever
[other options such as...   -N nodeclass  -g /shared-temp ...  ]

This will produce a file list sorted by FILE_HEAT, which you can then
peruse or otherwise process....
Perhaps a histogram or other display of   (number of files) vs (heat
values) would be interesting...