[gpfsug-discuss] License question

Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Mon Oct 3 13:54:47 BST 2016

I have a question about licensing.

If I have a system which is NFS mounting (from a CES node), that is then
serving data via HTTP, does this system need to have a Server license?

Reading the FAQ (in the context of VMs):
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/STXKQY/gpfsclustersfaq.html
"The IBM Spectrum Scale Client may not be used for virtual servers to
share IBM Spectrum Scale data directly through any application, service
protocol or method, such as NFS, CIFS, FTP, HTTP, or OpenStack Swift"

My reading of this is that if the VM is mounting via NFS, then as it is
not a Spectrum Scale client (rather an NFS client), then it doesn't
require a Scale license.

Secondly. If the VM is mounting from the hypervisor via NFS (Manilla), is
the VM then allowed to serve data out by e.g. Web server, or does the
hypervisor require a server license to do this. Assuming my hypervisor is
licensed for Spectrum Scale of course.

I think my interpretation is that if a VM is using NFS mounting from
either a CES node or using Manilla to the hypervisor, then this is all OK
to "re-export" data as the VM isn't talking GPFS protocol. Is this correct?

Simon