[gpfsug-discuss] SS 4.2.1 + CES NFS / SMB

Lukas Hejtmanek xhejtman at ics.muni.cz
Mon Nov 14 19:57:22 GMT 2016

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 04:20:52PM +0000, Andy Parker1 wrote:
> When I mount the AIX client as NFS4  I do no see the  user/group names.  I
> know NFS4 passes names and not UID/GID numbers so I
> guess this is linked.

> Can anybody explain why I do not see userID / Group names when  viewing
> via a NFS4 client and ideally how to fix this.

use tcpdump or something to catch NFS traffic. From the client do:
1) mount
2) ls -l nfs_mount_dir

see the dumped traffic (wireshark is your friend) and see, what names are in
the dump.

You can see either nobody at virutaldomain1, which means that the problem is on
the server (i.e., server is not able to translate UID/GID to name resulting in
nobody/nogroup), or someting like SPECTRUMSCALE\newmanjo at virtualdomain1.

I would expect tha latter case and you see 'nobody' because the client does
not understand SPECTRUMSCALE]newmanjo user.

Perhaps, set SMB so that domain is stripped off from names, i.e., you should
see only newmanjo instead of SPECTRUMSCALE\newmanjo on the server.

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek