[gpfsug-discuss] wanted...gpfs policy that places larger files onto a pool based on size

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Tue Nov 1 16:37:17 GMT 2016

Placement policy rules, SET POOL ..., are evaluated at open/create time
before any write(2) calls have been made, so GPFS has no "idea" how big
the file is going to ultimately be. In other words at file creation time
FILE_SIZE, if we had implemented it, would be 0, so rather than mislead
you and answer the question "why is FILE_SIZE==0, we left FILE_SIZE
undefined in SET POOL rules.

Of course, we at IBM have thought of at least some other scenarios, and we
are listening here... As the last so many years show, GPFS continues to
add features, etc, etc.

-- marc