[gpfsug-discuss] Flash for metadata

Yuri L Volobuev volobuev at us.ibm.com
Tue May 24 20:25:06 BST 2016

GPFS will issue 4K IOs if the file system is 4K-aligned, which is the
default for 4.1.1+, and may issue requests as small as 512 bytes otherwise.
If a given array presents 4K physical block size to the world, you won't be
able to format a non-4K-aligned file system which puts metadata on that
disk.  It is generally believed that 4K IO size produces optimal
performance with flash-based storage in general, because this is the native
physical block size, and 512-byte sector emulation entails doing a
read-modify-write.  We don't have the data on how much difference the
sector size actually makes.  If in doubt, I would recommend going with 4K
sectors and a 4K-aligned file system.

yuri