[gpfsug-discuss] OOM Killer killing off GPFS 3.5

Yuri L Volobuev volobuev at us.ibm.com
Tue May 24 17:17:12 BST 2016

This problem is more complex than it may seem.  The thing is, mmfsd runs as
root, as thus already possesses a certain amount of natural immunity to OOM
killer.  So adjusting mmfsd oom_score_adj doesn't radically change the
ranking of OOM killer victims, only tweaks it.  The way things are supposed
to work is: a user process eats up a lot of memory, and once a threshold is
hit, OOM killer picks off the memory hog, and the memory is released.
Unprivileged processes inherently have a higher OOM score, and should be
killed off first.  If that doesn't work, for some reason, the OOM killer
gets desperate and starts going after root processes.  Once things get to
this point, it's tough.  If you somehow manage to spare mmfsd per se,
what's going to happen next?  The OOM killer still needs a victim.  What
we've seen happen in such a situation is semi-random privileged process
killing.  mmfsd stays alive, but various other system processes are picked
off, and pretty quickly the node is a basket case.  A Linux node is not
very resilient to random process killing.  And it doesn't help that those
other privileged processes usually don't use much memory, so killing them
doesn't release much, and the carnage keeps on going.  The real problem is:
why wasn't the non-privileged memory hog process killed off first, before
root processes became fair game?  This is where things get pretty
complicated, and depend heavily on the Linux version.  There's one specific
issue that did get diagnosed.  If a process is using mmap and has page
faults going that result in GPFS IO, on older versions of GPFS the process
would fail to error out after a SIGKILL, due to locking complications
spanning Linux kernel VMM and GPFS mmap code.  This means the OOM killer
would attempt to kill a process, but that wouldn't produce the desired
result (the process is still around), and the OOM killer keeps moving down
the list.  This problem has been fixed in the current GPFS service levels.
It is possible that a similar problem may exist that prevents a memory hog
process from erroring out.  I strongly encourage opening a PMR to
investigate such a situation, instead of trying to work around it without
understanding why mmfsd was targeted in the first place.

This is the case of prevention being the best cure.  Where we've seen
success is customers using cgroups to prevent user processes from running a
node out of memory in the first place.  This has been shown to work well.
Dealing with the fallout from running out of memory is a much harder task.

The post-mmfsd-kill symptoms that are described in the original note are
not normal.  If an mmfsd process is killed, other nodes will become aware
of this fact faily quickly, and the node is going to be expelled from the
cluster (yes, expels *can* be a good thing).  In the normal case, TCP/IP
sockets are closed as soon as mmfsd is killed, and other nodes immediately
receive TCP RST packets, and close their connection endpoints.  If the
worst case, if a node just becomes catatonic, but RST is not sent out, the
troubled node is going to be expelled from the cluster after about 2
minutes of pinging (in a default configuration).  There should definitely
not be a permanent hang that necessitates a manual intervention.  Again,
older versions of GPFS had no protection against surprise OOM thread kills,
but in the current code some self-monitoring capabilities have been added,
and a single troubled node won't have a lasting impact on the cluster.  If
you aren't running with a reasonably current level of GPFS 3.5 service, I
strongly recommend upgrading.  If you see the symptoms originally described
with the current code, that's a bug that we need to fix, so please open a
PMR to address the issue.

yuri