[gpfsug-discuss] Flash for metadata

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue May 17 21:22:39 BST 2016

On 16/05/16 10:28, Sanchez, Paul wrote:
> Simon,
>
> I can’t speak specifically to the FS-900, since I generally use Dell
> Compellent and NetApp EF arrays for flash today.  But I also take care
> to ensure that the system pool metadata NSDs use RAID10 (or equivalent)
> rather than RAID5/6.  For small 4K metadata writes, on a 4K blocksize
> LUN this could result in optimal writes.  For larger native blocksize
> LUNs, it eliminates the parity calculation for read-modify-write
> operations.

General point would it not make more sense to make multiple RAID1's and
set replication of the metadata than make a RAID10? Preferably with the
RAID1's on more than one storage array?

Always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to have my metadata replicated even
if the data is not.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.