[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS VM passthrough

Daniel Kidger daniel.kidger at uk.ibm.com
Thu May 5 09:52:22 BST 2016

Fortunately the licences issue is simple.
The rules state that the sum of licences of all VMs on a node is capped at the number of sockets that server has.
So if you have 9 VMs using a mixture of different core counts each then you do not need more than 2 client licences if all hosted on a standard two socket server.

Daniel

Sent from IBM Verse

   Stijn De Weirdt --- [gpfsug-discuss] GPFS VM passthrough ---
    From:"Stijn De Weirdt" <stijn.deweirdt at ugent.be>To:"gpfsug main discussion list" <gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org>Date:Thu, 5 May 2016 09:34Subject:[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS VM passthrough

    hi all,we are examining the possibility to give VMs access to GPFS mounted onthe hypervisors. (use cases are readonly or read-mostly access to thedata on gpfs, the hypervisors have IB, the vms not yet; and we have noidea how to handle possible explosion of gpfs client licenses if wemount gpfs inside the VMs ;)has anyone experience with using the 9p filesystem passthrough and gpfswith qemu/kvm?many thanks,stijn_______________________________________________gpfsug-discuss mailing listgpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.orghttp://gpfsug.org/mailman/listinfo/gpfsug-discussUnless stated otherwise above: