[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS(snapshot, backup) vs. GPFS(backup scripts) vs. TSM(backup)

Jaime Pinto pinto at scinet.utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 9 19:56:13 GMT 2016

Here is another area where I've been reading material from several
sources for years, and in fact trying one solution over the other from
time-to-time in a test environment. However, to date I have not been
able to find a one-piece-document where all these different IBM
alternatives for backup are discussed at length, with the pos and cons
well explained, along with the how-to's.

I'm currently using TSM(built-in backup client), and over the years I
developed a set of tricks to rely on disk based volumes as
intermediate cache, and multiple backup client nodes, to split the
load and substantially improve the performance of the backup compared
to when I first deployed this solution. However I suspect it could
still be improved further if I was to apply tools from the GPFS side
of the equation.

I would appreciate any comments/pointers.

Thanks
Jaime

---
Jaime Pinto
SciNet HPC Consortium  - Compute/Calcul Canada
www.scinet.utoronto.ca - www.computecanada.org
University of Toronto
256 McCaul Street, Room 235
Toronto, ON, M5T1W5