[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS+TSM+HSM: staging vs. migration priority

Jaime Pinto pinto at scinet.utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 8 16:36:46 GMT 2016

I'm wondering whether the new version of the "Spectrum Suite" will
allow us set the priority of the HSM migration to be higher than
staging.

I ask this because back in 2011 when we were still using Tivoli HSM
with GPFS, during mixed requests for migration and staging operations,
we had a very annoying behavior in which the staging would always take
precedence over migration. The end-result was that the GPFS would fill
up to 100% and induce a deadlock on the cluster, unless we identified
all the user driven stage requests in time, and killed them all. We
contacted IBM support a few times asking for a way fix this, and were
told it was built into TSM. Back then we gave up IBM's HSM primarily
for this reason, although performance was also a consideration (more
to this on another post).

We are now reconsidering HSM for a new deployment, however only if
this issue has been resolved (among a few others).

What has been some of the experience out there?

Thanks
Jaime

---
Jaime Pinto
SciNet HPC Consortium  - Compute/Calcul Canada
www.scinet.utoronto.ca - www.computecanada.org
University of Toronto
256 McCaul Street, Room 235
Toronto, ON, M5T1W5