[gpfsug-discuss] Small cluster

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Fri Mar 4 16:28:52 GMT 2016

On Fri, 2016-03-04 at 11:09 -0500, Marc A Kaplan wrote:
> Jon, I don't doubt your experience, but it's not quite fair or even
> sensible to make a decision today based on what was available in the
> GPFS 2.3 era.

Once bitten twice shy. I was offering my experience of that setup, which
is not good. I my defense I did note it was it the 2.x era and it might
be better now.

> We are now at GPFS 4.2 with support for 3 way replication and FPO.
> Also we have Raid controllers, IB, and "Native Raid" and ESS, GSS
> solutions and more.
>
> So more choices, more options, making finding an "optimal" solution
> more difficult.

The other thing I would point out is that replacing a disk in a MD3 or
similar is an operator level procedure. Replacing a similar disk up the
front with GPFS replication requires a skilled GPFS administrator. Given
these are to be on remote sites, I would suspect simpler lower skilled
maintenance is better.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.