[gpfsug-discuss] Initial file placement - first storage pool is now used for data storage (DOC!)

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 17 17:20:22 BST 2016

(Doc?... I ain't about to read a manual!   But just to cover our bases we
did stick it into the 4.1.1 pubs)

Policy improvements:
This release includes the following policy improvements:
  ...  (summary of changes, page xv) ...

Implicit SET POOL 'first-data-pool' rule
For file systems that are at or have been upgraded to 4.1.1, the system
recognizes that,
even if no policy rules have been installed to a file system by mmchpolicy
, data files
should be stored in a non-system pool if available (rather than in the
system pool, which
is the default for earlier releases). For more information, see the
following:
 Information Lifecycle Management chapter in the IBM Spectrum Scale:
Advanced Administration Guide

 ... ( mmchpolicy man page 298) ...
For file systems that are at or have been upgraded to 4.1.1 or later: If
there are no SET POOL policy
rules installed to a file system by mmchpolicy, the system acts as if the
single rule SET POOL
'first-data-pool' is in effect, where first-data-pool is the firstmost
non-system pool that is available for file
data storage, if such a non-system pool is available. (“Firstmost” is the
first according to an internal index
of all pools.) However, if there are no policy rules installed and there
is no non-system pool, the system
acts as if SET POOL 'system' is in effect.
This change applies only to file systems that were created at or upgraded
to 4.1.1. Until a file system is
upgraded, if no SET POOL rules are present (set by mmchpolicy) for the
file system, all data will be
stored in the 'system' pool.
For information on GPFS policies, see the IBM Spectrum Scale: Advanced
Administration Guide.