[gpfsug-discuss] QoS question

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 15 19:24:07 BST 2016

Thanks for that reference.  Further research indicates that GRIO on XFS
required Irix/SGI  hardware features and GRIO is not in any recent
implementations of XFS.

Functionally GRIO, when it worked was kind of a logical complement or
opposite of GPFS/QOS.  GRIO was to be used to reserve bandwidth for
critical applications; whereas  GPFS 4.2/QOS primary purpose to restrict
the IO bandwidth consumed by not-performance critical applications.    Of
course if you restrict set X to use no more than B, than you have
effectively reserved TotalAvailable-B for the set ~X.  It may interest you
to know that the primary GPFS/QOS enforcement mechanisms are based on an
implementation of Token Bucket ( wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_bucket , US
Patent 9178827 )

--marc