[gpfsug-discuss] Migrating to CES from CTDB

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Jul 20 16:15:39 BST 2016

On Wed, 2016-07-20 at 14:42 +0000, Sobey, Richard A wrote:

[SNIP]

> The downtime option involves shutting down the CTDB cluster, deleting
> the AD object, renaming the new cluster and starting CES SMB to allow
> it to join AD with the same name. This takes about 15 minutes while
> allowing for AD replication and the TTL on the DNS. This then has to
> be repeated when the original CTDB nodes have been reinstalled.

Can you not reduce the TTL on the DNS to as low as possible prior to the
changeover to reduce the required downtime for the switch over?

You are also aware that you can force the AD replication so no need to
wait for that, other than the replication time, which should be pretty
quick?

I also believe that it is not necessary to delete the AD object. Just
leave it as is, and it will be overwritten when you join the new CES
cluster. Saves you a step.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.