[gpfsug-discuss] Migrating to CES from CTDB

Sobey, Richard A r.sobey at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jul 20 15:42:09 BST 2016

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience migrating from CTDB and GPFS 3.5 to CES and GPFS 4.2? We've got a plan of how to do it, but the issue is doing it without causing any downtime to the front end. We're using "secrets and keytab" for auth in smb.conf.

So the only way I think we can do it is build out the 4.2 servers and somehow integrate them into the existing cluster (front end cluster) - or more accurately - keep the same FQDN of the cluster and just change DNS to point the FDQN to the new servers, and remove it from the existing ones. The big question is: will this work in theory?

The downtime option involves shutting down the CTDB cluster, deleting the AD object, renaming the new cluster and starting CES SMB to allow it to join AD with the same name. This takes about 15 minutes while allowing for AD replication and the TTL on the DNS. This then has to be repeated when the original CTDB nodes have been reinstalled.

I feel like I'm rambling but I just can't find any guides on migrating protocols from CTDB to CES, just migrations of GPFS itself. Plus my knowledge of samba isn't all that :)

Cheers

Richard