[gpfsug-discuss] SSD LUN setup

Brian Marshall mimarsh2 at vt.edu
Mon Jul 18 15:07:51 BST 2016

@Jonathan,

I completely agree on the SSD failure.  I wasn't suggesting that better
write endurance made them impervious to failures, just that I read a few
articles from ~3-5 years back saying that RAID5 or RAID6 would destroy your
SSDs and have a really high probability of all SSDs failing at the same
time as the # of writes were equal on all SSDs in the RAID group.  I think
that's no longer the case and RAID6 on SSDs is fine.  I was looking for
examples of what others have done:  RAID6, using GPFS data replicas, or
some other thing I don't know about that better takes advantage of SSD
architecture.  Background - I am a storage noob

Also is the @Jonathan proper list etiquette?

Thanks everyone to great advice I've been getting.

Thank you,
Brian