[gpfsug-discuss] migrating data from GPFS3.5 to ESS appliance(GPFS4.1)

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Sat Jan 30 17:09:46 GMT 2016

You may also want to use and/or adapt samples/ilm/tspcp   which uses
mmapplypolicy to drive parallel cp commands.

The script was written by my colleague and manager, but I'm willing to
entertain
questions and suggestions...

Here are some of the comments:

# Run "cp" in parallel over a list of files/directories
#
# This is a sample script showing how to use the GPFS ILM policy
# to copy a list of files or directories. Its takes advantage of GPFS 3.4
# input file list argument to mmapplypolicy to limit the directory scan
# to only the files and directories in the input file list. It also uses
# the GPFS 3.5 feature for DIRECTORY_HASH to sort candidate list by
directories
# and execute them in a top-down order.
#
# This script converts the list of files from the argument to a file list
file
# as input to mmapplypolicy. It then generates a simple ILM policy file to
# match all of the files in the list and if -r is specified to match all
files
# and directories below any directories that are specified. The files are
# then sorted by policy into directory order and dispatched in top down
order.
# Each work unit is assigned to a node and executed by a call to this
script,
# which simply reads its input file list  and calls "cp" on each. The
# original script scans stdout from each of the workers looking  for
# messages from "cp" or any possible errors.