[gpfsug-discuss] migrating data from GPFS3.5 to ESS appliance (GPFS4.1)

Damir Krstic damir.krstic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 19:31:37 GMT 2016

We have recently purchased ESS appliance from IBM (GL6) with 1.5PT of
storage. We are in planning stages of implementation. We would like to
migrate date from our existing GPFS installation (around 300TB) to new
solution.

We were planning of adding ESS to our existing GPFS cluster and adding its
disks and then deleting our old disks and having the data migrated this
way. However, our existing block size on our projects filesystem is 1M and
in order to extract as much performance out of ESS we would like its
filesystem created with larger block size. Besides rsync do you have any
suggestions of how to do this without downtime and in fastest way possible?

I have looked at AFM but it does not seem to migrate quotas and filesets so
that may not be an optimal solution.