[gpfsug-discuss] IBM Spectrum Scale transparent cloud tiering

Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Fri Jan 29 15:15:46 GMT 2016

>Er no the DMAPI was only ever required for HSM as far as I am aware. Now
>while HSM is a form of tiering, in GPFS parlance tiering generally
>referred to disk pools of varying "speeds", with file placement and
>movement being done via the policy engine.

DMAPI can do more than just HSM though. I think DDN WOS bridge uses it
(Vic or someone can correct me here). And LWE could *potentially* do some
of those other aspects that people might want to do.

>I still remain to be convinced that tiering to some third party cloud
>provider will ever be cost effective mind you.

Amazon Glacier maybe? Possibly if you have data you really don¹t want to
touch...

Now my understanding though is that its an S3 (probably) interface, so it
needn't be third party, nor public cloud storage necessarily.

Of course MCStore is hopefully on the list for the next Meet the Devs in
Oxford (just a few places left), and on my list to get on the agenda for
the May UG meeting as well.

Simon