[gpfsug-discuss] IBM Spectrum Scale transparent cloud tiering

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Fri Jan 29 15:08:17 GMT 2016

On Fri, 2016-01-29 at 15:46 +0100, service at metamodul.com wrote:
> Hi Robert,
> i refered to your posting i assume ^_^
>
> Note the following is from what I know, Since i did not had any change to work
> with GPFS in the last 2 years my knowledge will be outdated.
>
> The current GPFS tiering options depending on the DMAPI which i am not a big fan
> since it had in the past some limitations,
> In past i read some talking about "lightweight callbacks" - thats what i
> remember as the name - which could hook into the stream of open or write process
> ( to/from a gpfs )

Er no the DMAPI was only ever required for HSM as far as I am aware. Now
while HSM is a form of tiering, in GPFS parlance tiering generally
referred to disk pools of varying "speeds", with file placement and
movement being done via the policy engine.

I still remain to be convinced that tiering to some third party cloud
provider will ever be cost effective mind you.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.