[gpfsug-discuss] weird issue when issuing mm commands

Loic Tortay tortay at cc.in2p3.fr
Tue Jan 12 20:39:24 GMT 2016

On 12/01/2016 21:17, mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu wrote:
> In the message dated: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 11:24:18 -0800,
> The pithy ruminations from Yuri L Volobuev on
> <Re: [gpfsug-discuss] weird issue when issuing mm commands> were:
> =>
> => GPFS code determines the current OS by looking at the output of "uname -s".
> => On a regular Linux node, this command returns "Linux", so check whether you
>
> I saw the same issue on several Scientific Linux release 6.7 machines last
> week.
>
> These machines have been GPFS clients since ~ SL 6.3 & GPFS 3.5.9
> (~3 years).  This error never happened previously.

Hello,
In my experience, this problem is often due to "/tmp" being 100% full.

It appears GPFS 4.1.1 now displays a meaningful message in such a case:
  # df -h /tmp | grep %
                        985M  985M     0 100% /tmp
  # /usr/lpp/mmfs/bin/mmgetstate
  mmgetstate: Unable to obtain the OS name.  The tmp file system may be
full.
  #

Loïc.
--