[gpfsug-discuss] weird issue when issuing mm commands

mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu
Tue Jan 12 20:17:06 GMT 2016

In the message dated: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 11:24:18 -0800,
The pithy ruminations from Yuri L Volobuev on
<Re: [gpfsug-discuss] weird issue when issuing mm commands> were:
=>
=> GPFS code determines the current OS by looking at the output of "uname -s".
=> On a regular Linux node, this command returns "Linux", so check whether you

I saw the same issue on several Scientific Linux release 6.7 machines last
week.

These machines have been GPFS clients since ~ SL 6.3 & GPFS 3.5.9
(~3 years).  This error never happened previously.

Various 'mm*' commands were returning the "Unknown OS" error. Note that
there was no OS named at the end of the error message, as if $osName
was not defined in /usr/lpp/mmfs/bin/mmglobfuncs.

The 'uname -s' command on these nodes does return "Linux" both locally
and remotely via an ssh connection from a GPFS manager node.

Updating OS distribution packages & rebooting the nodes & rebuilding the
kernel-specific gpfs.gplbin packge resolved the problem, so I'm not sure
of the exact cause.

Mark

=> see the same, when the command is run locally on the node and through an
=> ssh session.  Since mmaddnode has to do some remote processing, make sure
=> ssh works as expected, in particular in the locale setting area.
=>
=> yuri
=>
=>