[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS 4.2 / Protocol nodes

Oesterlin, Robert Robert.Oesterlin at nuance.com
Tue Jan 12 13:40:27 GMT 2016

My experience is that in small clusters, it’s acceptable to double up on some of these services, but as you scale up, breaking them out makes more sense. Spectrum Scale make it easy to add/remove the nodes non-disruptively, so you can move them to dedicated nodes. When I first started testing 4.2, I setup a 6 node cluster that had both NSD and CES on them, and it did just fine. The nodes were 4-core 32GB and I had NFS and Object running on the CES nodes. The new CES nodes run a ton more services, especially when you start working with Object.

Both of you points are valid considerations – especially with CNFS. I’m running multiple CNFS clusters and having them broken out has save me a number of times.

Bob Oesterlin
Sr Storage Engineer, Nuance HPC Grid